The remote monitoring system via WEB, known as RMS, is a system with possibilities of location, acquisition and management of alarms and data, based on an open and configurable environment with three architectures clearly differentiated by their area of operations.
What is Remote Monitoring and Automation
Remote monitoring and automation is a process that can help alleviate some of the burden off of your operators, field engineers and supervisors. It is an automated software that keeps an eye on your process, scanning different inputs, outputs and specifications to create a report which one can analyze on a daily basis. The software can provide the technical experts with 24 hour monitoring of the physical infrastructure, loosening the strain on internal support resources. When something is off in your process plant there is an alarm notification system that is linked back to your system, Customers are notified in real-time via email, phone message, or through the ticketing portal. As critical events occur, this real-time notification allows them to reduce the time it usually takes to diagnose and correct the arising issues. This improves overall efficiency and maximizes the uptime.
Why is Remote Monitoring System Important?
Regardless of what you operate, understanding when, what and why a problem occurs will change your bottom line. Remote monitoring system provides a consistent and secure solution to monitor equipment and collect valuable performance data. Real-time performance analytics are provided to plant managers and other personnel, providing insight into the health of the equipment and operations as well as providing alerts when performance falls outside of defined parameters. Remote monitoring system for industrial automation helps manufacturers reduce overall cost by minimizing downtime, improving productivity, and streamlining maintenance. Below is some additional information about the benefits manufacturers reap when employing a robust remote monitoring program.
- Minimize Downtime: downtime is incredibly costly to manufacturers in terms of revenue loss but also in terms of less tangible effects such as loss of customer trust. Remote monitoring ensures your equipment is being tracked 24/7 and that you will be notified the moment a potential issue arises. Email and text alerts allow you to immediately address the issue, and in many instances, prevent the downtime from occurring at all. Additionally, root cause analysis allows companies to identify the cause of a downtime event in order to prevent reoccurrence. A remote monitoring program is a cost-effective solution to increase equipment reliability, increase productivity, and elevate customer service levels.
- Valuable insights: remote monitoring readily provides analytics to help manufacturers better visualize trends and performance over time – allowing personnel to make more informed decisions regarding equipment health and efficiency. Dashboards can be customized to ensure real-time access to all the necessary graphs, reports, and alerts.
- Predictive Maintenance: it is imperative that all operating equipment are well-maintained and checked routinely to ensure optimal health. Remote monitoring system can track equipment parameters such as vibration and temperature and alert manufacturers when a parameter is trending outside of the unacceptable range, well before the issue causes a shutdown. Additionally, remote monitoring can further optimize maintenance costs since maintenance services will be performed when they are needed instead of simply when they are scheduled.
Given the advancement in remote monitoring system technologies in recent years, many manufacturers and production companies are seeking third parties to manage their remote monitoring system. Outsourcing remote monitoring allows clients to focus on their core competencies as well as tap into the expertise of external resources. A remote monitoring expert is able to identify problems and trends, as well as recommend cost savings steps and solutions, based on his/her experience at other locations. Lastly, outsourcing remote monitoring system to a third party gives clients peace of mind, knowing their operations and equipment are being tracked 24/7 by the experts.
PI System – Your Remote Monitoring System Solution
GIL Automation has partnered with Osisoft, which released the product PI system. PI system is a powerful, application designed to deliver active alerts and downtime reports for a specific equipment, a process line, or the entire production facility. PI system is a combination of a data collector install in the process, PI system cloud service, and an application installed on the phone, tablet or PC. This address the needs of all stakeholders – operators, process engineers, maintenance engineers, site management and enterprise management – as efficiently as possible.
The PI System Described
The PI System collects, stores, and manages data from the process plant, the data sources connect to one or more data collection computers. In turn, the Data Collection computers get the data from your data sources and send it to the Data Archive. The Asset Framework (AF) Server is one method of accessing the Data Archive server, and there may be other PI and non-PI servers. Users request data from the AF Server or Data Archive for display in the client tools.
Generally the parts involved in a PI System are:
RTU – Your Remote Monitoring System Solution
GIL Automation has partnered with Honeywell and Signal fire. An Remote Terminal Unit (RTU) describes a system or package at the remote sites that monitors and controls the remote sites. An RTU systems includes the controller, RTU, Power Supply, and Data Communications Subsystems. The complete package is typically referred to as an RTU package.
Fig 3: RTU Architecture
Remote Terminal Unit (RTU) is a microprocessor-based device connected to sensors, transmitters or process equipment for the purpose of remote telemetry and control. RTUs find applications in oil and gas remote instrumentation monitoring, networks of remote pump stations, Environmental monitoring systems, Air traffic equipment etc. RTUs with the aid of appropriate sensors, monitors production processes at remote site and transmits all data to a central station where it is collated and monitored.
Additional Automation Support Offerings from GIL Automation
GIL Automation offers a complete remote monitoring and supervision solution for field based, with particular experience in offshore/onshore wellhead and process area. This enables accurate and reliable data capture which improves system interconnectivity and intervention while reducing expensive and time consuming travel to remote sites.
At GIL, we understand that every investment your company makes is important to your success, and we consider client success our top priority. To ensure that your RMS process automation investments help you achieve your goals, we protect your assets with GIL OnSupport. OnSupport is around-the-clock assurance that your process plant are running as planned, and in the event, something changes, our 24/7 support will respond quickly and efficiently to restore production.
- 24/7 Support: available anytime you have a question or issue. Call our toll-free technical support line, and we will get you the answers you need.
- Annual Checkup: to keep your processes online/running , we conduct an annual onsite system checkup. Our experts will complete a full health analysis of your full system.
Contact us today to learn more about our remote monitoring system and other industrial automation solutions.